Many people, including our children have asked the question….why Nicaragua? It took us quite a while to narrow down our list to this country and here are the top ten reasons why.
10. Nicaragua is in the same time zone as Alberta is. This makes it much easier to keep in touch with family back home. We can face time or skype with our Grandson everyday if we wish, although, I think his parents would get quite annoyed with us if we called that often!
9. It is safe! It is the safest country in Central America and the second safest in Latin America.
8. The cost of living is cheap, cheap, cheap! Where else can you buy a beer for a dollar?
7. The heat! You have to admit that living in Alberta can be cold! We love the idea of spending time in a country that is warm all year long. We will admit that at times the heat can become a bit overbearing, however, it’s kind of nice to live in shorts and flip flops everyday.
6. The fresh fruit and vegetables! We are vegans and the idea of living in a place where we can constantly get fresh, organic fruit and vegetables is very appealing. Although some of the produce is different than in Canada, we are enjoying trying new food and creating new recipes! More information and recipes will be coming on our new blog page called……Being a Vegan in Nicaragua.
5. The opportunity to learn a second language. Although difficult, everyday we learn a new word or phrase. Maybe it’s never to late to teach two old dogs some new tricks!
4. The beaches and sunsets! You can’t get much better than some of the beaches and sunsets we have seen down here.
3. The opportunity to experience a new culture! We wanted to try something new and the Nicaraguans are extremely friendly and welcoming people. Why not move outside of our comfort zone and see how other parts of the world live.
2. Their manana attitude. If it doesn’t happen today, perhaps it will happen tomorrow or maybe next week!
1. The number one reason we chose Nicaragua. Meet new people! In the two weeks we have been in San Juan Del Sur we already feel we have more friends than we ever did in Alberta!